Nothing to Say

I am a firm believer in that if you have nothing to say, then say nothing.  So, over the past couple weeks I keep thinking about what to write on my blog.  After all, I do not want to saddle you with inane chatter just because I want to update my blog.  Well, isn't that I am doing now?

I remember a long time ago when I was in college.  A dear friend wanted to fix me up with a young man from the Naval Academy for our sorority spring dinner.  She whipped out a wallet with 12 pictures and told me to pick one.  Pick one!  How was I supposed to pick one?  So I asked her who did she think would make a better date.  She said - well either Dave or Bill.  Now, Bill is kind of short, and he might not be as tall as you.  Nix Bill.  And Dave has a girlfriend.

Perfect.  I did not want to date a guy at that time anyway, so if he had a girlfriend, I felt it would be a safe dinner date, right?  Well, Dave asked me for a 500 word essay about myself.  I remember the letter very well up to this day.  I started it off with Dear Dave, Hi, I understand you wanted a 500 word essay about myself.  Well, I am 5 foot 5, with brown hair and green eyes.  And that's all I am going to tell you.   I then proceeded to count the words and I put the word count in parentheses.  Then I would count it stating - Oh, and now I have this many words.  Oh, guess what, now I have this many.  I continued to do this throughout the letter and I recall I only had around 300 some words before I ended the letter by signing my name and then counting that as well.

So, when I am given the chance to write about nothing at all - I can do it.  I just don't like doing it.

Well, Dave read the letter out loud to all the middies at lunch.  Bill thought it was hysterical and made my friend fix him up with someone else for the dinner.  Dave ended up being a total loser, and Bill was a sweetheart who never left my side the entire night.  Bill wrote to me after that and we started dating.  The rest is history - we have been together for over 27 years and he is still the love of my life.

So, I guess writing about nothing can really lead to something.  Who knew?

Talk to you later, Vivienne (and I promise it will be about something)

No comments:

Post a Comment