It's Been a Long Time

It’s hard to believe it’s been so long since my last posting.  And yet at the same time, I have barely had any time to breathe lately.  The conference in NY was amazing. I met so many new people and achieved all I hoped to achieve. I met an agent who was friendly and approachable, I volunteered at the Editor/Agent appointments, and I even got a chance to see some plays. So, what has happened to me since I returned back home?

Actually, I have been on two other trips since then. I traveled to Williamsburg on a grant and then to Philadelphia and Washington, DC on another grant. For me, both of these trips enabled me to expand my writing in different ways.  From my trip to Williamsburg I learned more about the time period I am currently writing than I dreamed possible. I participated in authentic 1700 dancing, ate food served during that time, and got to meet people who lived then through the wonderful interpreters. I so longed to begin writing once I returned but within days I was off on my other trip. This one was a bit different but at the same time I learned more about the starting of this country than I ever learned in school. Traveling to the historic sights, meeting people who re-enacted that time, and seeing authentic artifacts brought history alive for me. I was also amazed to see how beautiful the buildings in DC are.  Several times I commented about how regal the buildings were – like something I would see in Europe for a king or queen. And this in our own country.










Now I am back and in dire need of inspiration. I need to get my head wrapped around my manuscript writing and not on my blogs or on notes and research. While research is all well and good, the real focus needs to be on my novels. I need to focus on editing one manuscript in particular – Harvest Moon.  It has garnered finalist positions in several contests and appears to have the best potential for being bought by an editor. Since this is the case, all else must be put on hold and some deep editing must commence.

As much as I enjoy regaling you with all my travels and the knowledge I have learned, I think it best if I show, instead of tell.   If you do not hear from me for the next several weeks it is because I have my nose to the grindstone and am editing.  Once I come up for air, I will impart on you the knowledge I have gleaned from this and hopefully you will learn something as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment