Writing is like Dieting

I'm sure you're all wondering how this is possible.  How is writing like dieting?

Years ago, while my children were small I became a personal trainer to help pay the bills.  I loved it!  One of the things I took away from it was - you will never truly lose weight if you don't keep track of what you eat.  The most successful clients, and I had many, achieved success by writing down everything they ate in a diary.  So, I was thinking - couldn't the same be true with writing?  If I kept track of my writing every day in a journal, then I could track what I wrote and, hopefully finish my novels on schedule.

Of course, you're probably asking yourself - what schedule am I keeping?  Do I have a deadline to meet?  I have found that the best way to be ready for an editor's deadline is to have deadlines of my own and to keep them.  It's worked for me.  If I wrote each day - whether it was new pages or editing, then I was being successful in my quest toward being published.

So, I challenge each of you to keep a journal.  Keep track of how many pages you write or work on each day.  Write them down.  Share them with your writing partner if you have one.  If you don't have one, share them with me.  Every day, click on my post and write down how many pages you've written.  I'll do the same.  I guarantee, if you write down your pages each day, in no time you'll have a finished novel.

Who's ready to face my challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment