Life is Unpredictable

I've been working on my book all day.  Got up at 5:30 and wrote until 7:00, took my daughter to her test, got home and wrote until noon.  Picked up my daughter and wrote more.  Been writing all day long.  I think I got through about 50 pages of editing so far, and added in 16 new pages today.  And I'm still not finished.

So, what makes today more productive than any other day?  Time.

We all have those days.  Days filled with good intentions.  We plan to write all day but so many things happen to keep us from writing.  It's days like today that make it all worth it.  We accomplish so much.  Yesterday, I announced on my fb page I had just gone over 90,000 words.  At this moment, I'm at 94,000 words.  If I calculate this correctly, at approximately 250 words per page, that means I added in an extra 16 pages.  I'm in sync with my writing and characters today.

Trust me, not all days are like this.  There are days when I sit in front of the computer and wonder why I can't figure out where to send my characters.  Then there are the days when my children need me more so I have absolutely no time to write.

When asked if I plan my writing, I have to say no.  I read somewhere by an author, I wish I could remember who so I could give her credit, that her writing was more organic.  I think it was Eileen Dryer in the most recent RWA magazine.  I heard her loud and clear.  I honestly try to make a plan.  After all, I plan everything else in my life.  But with my writing, it just does not follow a plan.

I'll give you an example, I was writing the third book in the Order of the Golden Apple series when it just wasn't working.  No matter how many times I tried to organize it through an outline or a synopsis, it just wasn't working.  So, I did what I usually do when the characters are building roadblocks - I think on it.  I let it percolate in my brain.  Sometimes it takes one night, sometimes several nights. This time it took almost a month, but finally it began to flow.

When my writing flows and life is not so unpredictable, I can write non-stop, allowing it to develop organically.  Happy planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment